Saturday, September 26, 2015

Watercolor Butterfly

Hello everyone!  Happy Saturday!  I wanted to share with you today a card I made for my OCC watercolor class I was enrolled in.  Online Card Classes (love their classes!) had a Watercolor for Cardmakers: Exploring Mediums class on 9/21.  It was a very short class, so naturally, I'm way behind.   Watercolor has never been my forte.  The class may have been short, but very informative. 

On the first day, Jennifer McGuire explored the world of watercolor markers.  She used watercolor markers to color in an image she had stamped and heat embossed.  Then created a background for her image with the markers as well.   The card below was my attempt at this technique.  Which I might add, I enjoyed and will be trying again.


This stamp is a wood mounted stamp from Hero Arts. I have always loved it and don't use it near enough.  It's a little larger than some, so I went with a 6x6 card for this one.  The embossing powder is Liquid Platinum from Ranger.  It, too, is one of my favorites.   I used my Zig Clear Color Real Brush markers to color it in.  I put it right on the paper and then used a waterbrush to spread the color.  With these markers, a little goes a long way.   The colors are vibrant.  I only used three colors.  For the background, I scribbled the colors onto an acrylic block, diluted with water, and then added to my paper.  It's much more subtle and a little bit hard to see in the picture.  But it's there!  I kept it simple with no embellishments to really make my butterfly pop. I am definitely going to have to try more with this butterfly.  

I'm going to post this one in a couple of challenges which I will list below. That's it for me today. I'm off to be domesticated and do other boring things that don't include coloring :(   Thanks for stopping by!

Challenges: 

Craft Your Passion Challenge - Anything goes #280
Inspiration Destination - Anything goes #52
Cute Card Thursday - Things with Wings #392
Not Just Cards - Anything goes #24
Create and Inspire Challenge - Anything Goes #30

Supplies: 

Stamps - Hero Arts Butterfly; CTMH - A Friend Like You
Ink - Versamark
Paper - Tim Holtz Watercolor Paper; Strathmore 140# cold press; cardstock from stash
Markers - Zig Clean Color Real Brush - Blue, Cobalt Blue, Light Violet
Other - Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder, fun foam, adhesives


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. The butterfly is amazing!! Great coloring! I love the embossing. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Your Passion this week. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning how great the butterfly look. Your colouring is great.
    Thanks for playing with us at Craft your Passion.
    Good luck.
    xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful card!
    Many thanks for joining in the Cute Card Thursday Challenge this week! Debx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! That butterfly is fabulous! So pretty!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with Create and Inspire!

    ReplyDelete